The applicant is required to complete the on-line application form. The application includes an essay (max 1500 words), a personal statement (max 300 words), and employment and education histories. Applicants must provide three references (personal, professional and BK centre). The essay and personal statement are important parts of the process, so please give them adequate time and thought. The successful applicant may be required to show originals or certified copies of education transcripts. Please take note of the following dates:
- Applications open _____
- Applications close _____
- Shortlisted applicants notified_____
- Final dates for the scholar’s project in New York will be negotiated with the successful applicant, but are expected to be between February and May, 2015.
- The Brahma Kumaris office at the United Nations will furnish the successful applicant with a letter of invitation and detailed pre-arrival information.
- Shared accommodation at Queens Centre or near Global Harmony House at no cost
- $1500 towards travel
- $500 per month (3 months)
- $500 will be given after receipt of the exit report (must include a report on the Special Project).
- Certificate of Completion is given upon acceptance of the exit report and successful completion of Special Project.
Scholarship Conditions – in New York
- Attend the UN HQ at least four days per week
- Establish relationship with Mission of home country
- Participate in the BKUN evening meditation once a week.
- Participate in BK community life.
- Attend and participate in relevant UN activities.
- Attend weekly briefing at the United Nations and write reports (approximately 250 words) to be posted on our blog at un.brahmakumaris.org.
- Contribute to the BKUN Facebook and Prakashmani Scholarship Interest group during the scholarship period.
- Read UN Journal online (daily) and coordinate forthcoming events of interest with other UN Reps.
- Assist in writing and editing BK position papers.
- Complete a Special Project designed in cooperation with the Brahma Kumaris office at the United Nations.
- Create and deliver a presentation of your experience at the United Nations to the New York family before departure.
Scholarship Conditions – upon return home
- Exit report must be completed within 6 weeks of departure from New York
- Create and deliver a presentation of your experience at the United Nations at your local BK centre.
- Report back to your local UNIC (United Nations Information Centre) upon conclusion of your internship.
- Connect with local media (radio, TV, local paper etc) to share your experience of being the Prakashmani Scholar and/ or to share about your Special Project.
- Obtaining a Visa is the responsibility of the applicant. Information about obtaining a US Visa is available at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english.html
- Due to the high cost of medical care in the US, applicants are responsible to purchase health insurance coverage for the duration of his/her stay in the US. Evidence of this is required before commencement of the scholarship. If you take regular medications you are advised to bring sufficient quantities for your intended stay.
- The scholar must sign and notarize the “Scholarship Conditions” agreement before making travel arrangements.
Tips from Devindree Pillay on Prakashmani Application Process (Audio Clip)