About the Scholarship
The Prakashmani (Global?) Scholarship
The scholarship honors Dadi Prakashmani’s pioneering service as Administrative Head of the Brahma Kumaris from 1969 until 2007. The scholarship is awarded to Brahma Kumaris students from around the world who demonstrate attributes of Dadi Prakashmani’s character, leadership, and spiritual development. The Scholarship is administered by the Brahma Kumaris office at the United Nations. The scholarship affords the opportunity to gain work experience at the Brahma Kumaris office at United Nations headquarters in New York for a period of 3 months. The award is granted based on the recommendations of a Selection Committee comprised of BKUN Reps and consultant academics. The Scholarship includes travel and living costs valued at $3500 USD.
Dadi guided the expansion of the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University from one country into more than 120 countries, and a student body from thousands to hundreds of thousands. She had a remarkably unique ability to cross boundaries of language and culture giving all people a most powerful sense of belonging. Dadi Prakashmani led with a mind that constantly saw potential and virtue in everyone. Her intellect was far-reaching, seeing every external challenge as an opportunity for internal change. Dadi was known for her abundant and nurturing heart that somehow brought out the natural beauty and brilliance of whomever was in front of her. Dadi’s character and behaviour upheld the original and true founding vision of the organisation. She carried the flame of absolute truth and purity with her, at every step and in every breath. Dadi Prakashmani had a deep inspiration about the potential of the Brahma Kumaris to contribute something unique to the work of peace that formed the founding vision of the United Nations. It is her inspiration that ultimately led to our affiliation and status with the United Nations.
Choosing the Scholar
We believe that through selecting Scholars who are dedicated to exploring and understanding this kind of spiritual leadership, we can help to realise Dadi’s vision. Dadi believed that the UN had a real potential to bring about a world of deep peace, and abiding fulfillment for all. She saw the possibility of the UN being like a double helix – where global issues and spiritual values were intertwined. And that it was this integration that would bring about the safe, abundant and happy future we all want. This vision is the heartbeat of the Brahma Kumaris work at the United Nations.
The Prakashmani (Global?) Scholarship Program
- Provides a framework by which dedicated BK students from diverse backgrounds may gain experience in applying spiritual knowledge to global issues.
- Exposes BKs from diverse backgrounds to the work of the United Nations and NGOs.
- Offers an opportunity to carry out a special project aligned with the scholar’s interests and background.
- be at least 25 years of age. There is no upper age limit.
- be in good health
- be fluent or near fluent in English. Another language is an asset.
- adhere to the life principles of the Brahma Kumaris for at least 12 months prior to applying for the scholarship.
- have a strong sense of compassion
- be interested in engaging with people from diverse backgrounds
- have good written and oral communication skills
- demonstrate significant educational and/or life experiences needed for independent work
- agree to the conditions of the Scholarship outlined in “Scholarship Conditions”.